Sunday, March 10, 2013

Boulevard to Brawley

Today we dropped from 4,000 ft, rain and freezing cold to below sea level, warm, dry and windy.  I bumped past the 10 mile downhill with typically heavy crosswinds and a current high wind warning.  It is on the Interstate and that didn't seem like the ideal place to test out the repairs/adjustments on my bike.

We  started riding on great shoulders, wonderful scenery and crosswinds of about 10-12mph - pretty much what I typically ride, except for the spectacularly different scenery.  I don't know that I have seen the desert at people speed for many many years.  I guess I have missed it.

On the worst possible stretch of road (for those of you playing along from West Plains, it's like the road that goes behind Hillbilly Junction toward Mt. View, but worse) we also got, as an extra added attraction the worst headwinds (about 15-18 mph).  Annnnd, just because we are so special, that's where we had the clown car cavalcade of mechanical issues.  Fortunately, this time it was NOT my bike.  My bike worked fine today.  It was such a spectacular ordeal of comic complications, that by the time Flo and I got back on the road, we spent a mile or two laughing.  It was a GREAT cycling day.

I haven't gotten to do as many miles as I had hoped, but I am having a GREAT time.  This trip is everything I had hoped for and more.  What makes it so is the 31 women I am traveling with.

I was a total failure today at picking up cute guys, I'll have to up my game tomorrow

No comments: